Wednesday, November 30, 2011

IC48- An Industrial Christmas Wreath Tutorial

My Iron Craft Challenge this week was to create a wreath.  Like many of my craft projects, I'm not sure how this inspiration came about.  I just suddenly pictured it and that was that.  Rather than my cutesy, colorful style, I went stark and silver.  Every piece of this wreath came from the hardware store.  I think I will nickname it The Tin Man Wreath.


To make the wreath form, I bought four elbow air duct fittings.  They should all fit together to form a chunky wreath.  I also got two hose clamps to form the bow.  After that, you are free to choose other decorative pieces that you want; I wandered the aisles and chose the pieces that spoke to me.  In the end, I got some basic washers and some locking washers (or ninja stars as I called them in my head).





Start by fitting your elbow ducts together.  They fit pretty snugly, but I also used a little glue to secure it.  I recommend fitting it all together one more time before gluing because they can twist a little and not line up properly.  I made the mistake of assuming I was still good and then panicked once I had my epoxy in and the pieces weren't fitting.  Oh I have to twist it...


To make the bow, turn the screw on your hose clamps.  This will cause the circle to shrink and the end to come out.  Just keep turning until you are satisfied with your bow. 



Start attaching things to your wreath!  I used epoxy for the whole thing and kept it pretty simple.  You could also experiment with wrapping wire around to attach things.


Done!  I'm planning on putting a wire on it to hang it up, but for now it's a nice prop-up-against-something wreath.



Want to see more Iron Craft pieces?  Check out the flickr group here.  Want to join in the fun?  Check out the blog here.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, this one was soooo cool!! I'm usually not that kind of person but this one spoke to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! This is so unique. I love that you can buy all of the pieces for it from the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty terrific wreath

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from my readers :)