I started with a very simple design, just the body and the wing. The image above is the template I used. I just looked at some designs online and then sketched out my own. I cut out the pieces from the shrinky dink and then cut a small slit in the body to just fit the wing. I found that it needed to be wide enough to accommodate the wing size once it had baked.
Then I stuck them together and baked them! I wanted to make sure the wing wouldn't fall out prematurely so I made a little foil holder to bake it on. After it had started to shrink, I used some chopsticks to move it off the holder so that it could flatten.
I then glued on jump rings and attached some earring wires. That's it! I kept my design fairly simply because this was more of an experiment piece. You could probably alter the design by drawing on it, adding beads, or whatever.