Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Iron Craft Challenge

While looking at another crafter's blog, I stumbled upon the idea of the "Iron Craft Challenge."  Each week, crafters are challenged to create a craft fitting a certain theme.  I thought this sounded like fun, so I'm giving it a try!  The challenge is posted on Thursday and the finished crafts are revealed the next Wednesday.  It's already week nine, but I'm going to plunge in and give it a go!

This weeks challenge is to create a movie inspired project.  I decided to go with one of my favorite movies of all time, Anne of Green Gables.
Photo Source
If you are familiar with the book/movie, you will remember Anne's longing for puffed sleeves (and if you are not familiar, get familiar.  Now!).

"Oh, I am grateful," protested Anne. "But I'd be ever so much gratefuller if--if you'd made just one of them with puffed sleeves. Puffed sleeves are so fashionable now. It would give me such a thrill, Marilla, just to wear a dress with puffed sleeves."- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Photo Source
I decided to create my own version of puffed sleeves, although mine will actually allow you to fit through a door :)  Here's what I came up with:


Rather than a sleeve, it's a puffed bracelet.  I took a long strip of fabric (shown above) and sewed it around a wooden bracelet.  I used a piece of fabric that was much longer than the bracelet itself, which allowed me to scrunch it up and create the little puffs.  

It may not be exactly Anne's style, but I doubt she would break a slate over my head if I gave it to her.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is incredibly fantastic! I can actually see how the movie inspiration and the final piece fit together! I love it! Also, I love the movie choice! It is a favorite of mine as well! - Ashley W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so pretty! You should sell these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I want one! And Anne of Green Gables is one of my absolute fave films and books of all times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say "..although mine will actually allow you to fit through a door :)" I cracked up!! You know I know me some Anne Shirley!! I love you, and good job on the jewelrying!! Or...if I were Matthew, I'd say...Well...I wouldn't, but I'd smile real big, get red in the face, and nod approvingly!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from my readers :)