Saturday, November 5, 2011

"Fabric" Blog Buttons Tutorial

Hello readers.  Someone commented the other day asking how I made my buttons on the side (subscribe, facebook, etc).  This question, combined with the fact that I haven't posted a tutorial in awhile, inspired me to create this how-to.  It was pretty simple, so come follow along!

In this example, I will be using a Facebook button.  I started by finding a really simple button to use.  If you find one with only two colors (no fancy shadowing) it will be much easier to fill in.


Next, you need to find the pattern you will fill it in with.  For my blog, I scanned some fabric that I use in my pieces.  You can do this pretty easily or use another pattern.  Whatever you use, start by opening it up in photoshop.


Now, you will need to define a pattern.  This is a fancy way of saying Select-All and then Edit-Define Pattern.  You can then save your pattern.


Now you need to go back to your Facebook icon.  Open it up in photoshop.  Use the magic wand to select the entire blue portion.


Select Edit-Fill.  You will choose custom pattern.  Find your fabric (or other) pattern from before. 



That's it!  Occasionally you will need to troubleshoot a bit with size of pattern if it looks funny. (To do this, just re-size your original pattern and then do Define Pattern again).



How was that?  Do you have questions?  I've never taken a class in Photoshop and I definitely have spent hours figuring things out.  So don't feel dumb if you don't know what I meant with some words like magic wand tool.  I'll try to answer any questions you have but there are also really great tutorials online. 

5 comments:

  1. Great idea for a tutorial! I have no idea how to use Photoshop and someday will get it and figure it out step by step, too. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not used photoshop either, but I have a scrapbook program that can do many of these things. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! I love how you can customize these with the patterns you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's so cool! I WISH I had photoshop!!!!!!

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, thanks Jenny! I'm definitely trying this at some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from my readers :)