Thursday, September 1, 2011

September Bird of the Month: Bowerbird

Today I have an awesome bird to share.  The bowerbird.  I learned about these birds during my first week of grad school.  They are awesome because of the males' courtship behavior.  In order to attract a mate, males will build a structure called a bower, decorate it with blue objects, and then sing and dance.  Watch.


Crazy, huh? Although I never created an actual "Bowerbird Line," I think these guys would appreciate some of my blue jewelry.  I just hope they don't steal any of it for their bowers.

Blue Flower Bracelet
Blue Flower Ring

4 comments:

  1. I love that they use blue to attract a mate :) And your blue jewelry is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. And I love the white bird you use as a prop in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd keep a close watch on my jewelry if I were you! Just in case....

    I think the Bowerbird must be the first artistic, crafting bird! And he upcycles too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fascinating! Your blue jewelry is gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from my readers :)